Friday, July 13, 2012

Don't Be Afraid To Drink Beer Today

Today is Friday the 13th, and for some reason this day is associated with scary stuff. Before there were ever any movies with a machete wielding weirdo in a hockey mask, this day of the year was just considered to be unlucky. Like, "Oops, I locked my keys in the car. Damn you, Friday the 13th!" Not, "Oh no! We're all going to be murdered, one by one. Must be Friday the 13th." But today is actually your lucky day, that is if you love drinking exotic beers. In case you missed it earlier, there is a Mikkeller vs. Evil Twin event at The Fred Bar tonight. Lots of crazy beers from two gypsy brewers who make very intense and expensive beer at various breweries around the world. That is why they are called "gypsy" brewers. They will not put a curse on you, or read your palm. To my knowledge. I haven't met them. They live in Denmark most of the time. But if you are into beer...and I know you are!...then The Fred bar is your place to be tonight.

Tomorrow you can swing by the Taco Mac on Peachtree Parkway in Suwanee for a cask of Jail House John Dillenger IPA. They are going to tweak their IPA every time they put it in a cask and name it after a different, famous criminal. Glenn from the brewery will be there, so if you like to talk to guys that brew beer for a living, here's your chance this week. They are going to tap it at 6:00 pm. Should be really tasty.

There are three more Mondays left this month, which means that there are six more chances for home brewers to enter their beers in the Southern Brewers Challenge. The dates and places are below, and the details of the contest are as follows: The winner will have their recipe made by Red Brick to be served at all Taco Mac locations throughout the southeast. Once that batch is done, there will be another one put just in bottles to be sold at package stores for take-home consumption. Pretty cool, I know! So if you are a home brewer, or know one, then spread the word. Here are the dates and places:


  • Monday, July 16th at Taco Mac at Prado and Metropolis
  • Monday, July 23rd at Taco Mac in Duluth and Crabapple
  • Monday, July 30th at Taco Mac at Windward Pkwy and Decatur

Submissions will be accepted by a Taco Mac or Red Brick person between 5:00 and 8:00 pm. Please do not drop beers off at these places any other times, or on any other days, or at any other stores, and expect them to get where they need to be. We are trying to keep this organized as best as possible. So far it has been great. Thanks to all that have participated so far.



Don't forget about the beer dinner taking place in Duluth on July 31st. The menu is right here, and it looks fantastic. Check it out. Think you "can" make it? Better sign up soon.


This picture is of a place I was referred to in Philadelphia. The guys at Victory Brewing (I was there last Friday) kept telling me how great this Johnny Brenda's place was. I know what you're thinking. It sounded like a tranny bar to me too. You wake up as Johnny, get dressed as Brenda. Whatever makes you happy. I couldn't figure out why they thought I would like a tranny bar so much, but they swore it was a beer bar. So the next day when I was in Philly, I had nothing better to do, and hey, I am always up for an adventure in a strange town. So I took the train up to a station where I was warned not to go the wrong way out of (always a reassuring suggestion), walked around the corner, and there was Johnny Brenda's. Clearly, I thought, this not a tranny bar. Trannies have more style in one wig than this building does. This is no tranny bar, this looks like the bar where Fred gets stabbed to death by a hobo. I always knew I would die someday, and I have had my suspicions that hobos may be involved, but I did not think it was going to be on a Saturday in July, inside a bar in Philadelphia. But what the hell, I went in anyway. What a surprise! No hobos. Just really cool people drinking awesome beer. They had about 16 beer son tap, two beer engines, some chick in 80's clothes playing great music, and a few tattooed guys making incredible food. The next time you are Philadelphia, go to Johnny Brenda's. Trust me on this one. I scoped it out, and it was a terrific place, although maybe a little rough around the edges appearance-wise. But if you are afraid of a little dive bar, then you are definitely no friend of mine. You will love the food, and get to drink the best of what PA beer is all about. That is all they serve, and there are a bunch of really solid breweries up there.


I should have some pictures from Victory eventually, but I just don't have them at my fingertips right now. Stay tuned as always. Have a great weekend.