Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Do You Fred, Take This Saison...."

Readers-

I don't normally ramble on and on about a particular beer and how delicious I think it is. There are so many great beers out there, that if I told you about every one that I absolutely loved, we would be here forever. But today is different. Last night, I met a beer that I think I considered proposing marriage to at least once.

I want you to find a way to get your hands on this Ommegang Belgian Independence Day Spiced Saison as soon as possible. Deckard's will be pouring it tonight, along with some other tasty Belgian-style beers. The staff is prepped to help you with some great food pairings too. If I were you, I would think about having dinner down there tonight.

We were drinking this Ommegang B.I.D. last night at The Fred (maybe you were too, I don't know). I am a fan of well-made saisons, and frankly, I don't usually mess with ones made in the U.S. But Ommegang is different. They are a Belgian-owned brewery that happens to be in Cooperstown, New York. They make incredible and traditional Belgian-style beers that tend to rock.

But I am not going to bore you with all of the aspects of this delicious beer. Why would I do that? You can't taste this computer or phone screen. I hate reading some person's attempt to describe--in excruciating detail-- what they tasted in their mouth. I can't think of a more worthless expenditure of time. I had some tasty Corn Chex this morning. Want me to tell you about it? No, that's stupid. Why do people think that anyone wants to hear the minutia of their beer-tasting experience? What I will do, though, is tell you where to get this beer and when:


  • Deckard's. Tonight. While supplies last
  • The Fred Bar. Tonight. They poured about one little keg's worth last night, and they had two of them.
  • The following Taco Mac locations next week: Cumming, Dallas Hwy (Marietta), Decatur, Mall of GA, Peachtree City, Virginia-Highland and Windward Pkwy (Alpharetta).
These TM places get deliveries on different days of the week, and each one will be tapping them when they have some room. So I can't tell you RIGHT NOW when each one is getting tapped. Call the store nearest you to find out when that is going to be. Or better yet, follow the stores nearest you on Twitter. That will get you all of scoop you'll need. If you are a Brewniversity member, this is a pretty rare credit by the way. Basically, Atlanta received less than a third of what we normally get of Ommegang seasonals on this one. But based on how good this beer turned out, I expect to see more next year. You hear me, Ommegang? I'm talking to you!

That is all I have for you this week. I will be in Chattanooga tomorrow to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Chattanooga Brewing Co. They made us a cask of their IPA dry-hopped with Cascade. Finally, we can take a cask event to our loyal customers in Tennessee. Speaking of rare credits, there won't be many Atlanta folks with that one on their list....I'm just saying. It's only two hours form the ATL.