Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Springtime-y Goodness!

Grains of Paradise, orange peel, honey, Summit hops, meet SweetWater IPA.

Sorry I missed everyone last week. What I want to know--as the old song says--is where does the time go?
I was sure I posted a hello or something last week, but apparently not. Then I had to look at the last post on April 5th and seriously contemplate what the date today actually is, and convince myself that a full week was in between then and now. But enough of that. Here are some fun things to tell you about:

  1. Today I went to SweetWater with a group of managers and made 25 casks. I know...that's a lot of firkin beer. Get it? We had a contest a while ago where our managers submitted ideas for additions to casks, using some core SweetWater beers. Their head brewer picked the winners, five total, and we made five of each recipe. Lots of creative ideas for sure. My guys were really impressive. Once they are ready, we will spread them around so that no two stores near each other will have the same one. Expect these to arrive mid-May, or maybe just a little later. Charlotte and Chattanooga will be included as well. 
  2. For the first time ever we will have a cask of Monday Night Eye Patch IPA. This will be tapped on Wednesday, May 8th at the Taco Mac at Windward Pkwy and Hwy 9 in Alpharetta. This will be an extremely rare Brewniversity credit, so if you or someone you love is into that kind of thing, get it together and be there. The cask has Topaz hops added to it for a little extra zing. If you did not get the vibe during February's beer of the month that Monday Night is up to good things, well, they are. You missed the boat pal. And if you have not yet visited their brewery in west Midtown, what are you waiting for? I thought you supported local brewers? Hmf. Odd that you would say that, but not get out and visit this hip new spot. It is really cool, and you will thank me later if you make the trip. If you don't, then you will live out the rest of your days in the shameful gloom that is your future.
That is all I have to tell you about for now. Next week I am off to Philly to research their craft beer scene, maybe have a sandwich or two, you know, when in Rome....Then on Friday I will be in Delaware. I heard there is some brewery there named after a fish that looks like a dog or something. I guess they make pretty good beer there. We'll see. Then on Saturday I am going to Atlantic City. I know, not exactly a beer destination, but that's not why I am going there. Atlanta is so nice this time of year with all of the flowers and blue skies and springtime-y goodness that I can't stand it. So I am going to New Jersey. That ought to be different. Have a great week everyone. Bye.