Friday, October 4, 2013

Do You Drink Local? Read On...

Sorry that I have been quiet this week. The re-opening of the Decatur store has been taking up a fair amount of my time these days, especially since next week is going to really fly by. Great American Beer Festival in Denver starts on Thursday, so I will be back to Denver again (I was just there Sept. 19th-23rd), this time to drink beer. No other responsibilities. The festival itself is fun enough, but there are other events around town during the late morning, afternoon, and pretty much all night. Most notable is the Denver Rare Beer Tasting on Friday afternoon, and a Left Hand 20th Anniversary party Thursday night. The DRBT is just after the annual Sierra Nevada Kill The Keg event at Falling Rock Tap House, where each year they try to tweak their draft system and kill a keg of a special Sierra Nevada beer (Estate Homegrown maybe?) in a shorter time than the year before. If you want to get a decent spot at Falling Rock, you need to be there by 10:00. That would be 10:00 in the morning. And so it begins...

But on another more local note, here is an artist's rendering of the exterior of our remodeled Decatur location. It is scheduled to re-open on Tuesday, October 15th. The inside is totally tricked out with all kinds of beer related architectural detail. Trust me, you'll want to get down there sooner than later to check it out. More on that later, including some actual real photos. I could not get in there to take pictures yesterday because they were laying the flooring. Guess I should have called first.


Before I hit the road for the weekend, I wanted to relay a story for all of you beer drinkers out there who like to seek out some of the exciting beers from across the country. It goes like this:

  • A few weeks ago I bought a six-pack of a locally made pale ale at a BP station. Not exactly a hot spot for craft beer, Chamblee. It tasted so good and fresh, I checked the date on the bottle. I don't normally do that, but it was so remarkably tasty that I was compelled by uncontrollable forces to look for the date. This beer had left the brewery just three weeks before I bought it. That means it got packaged and dated, delivered to a local distributor, warehoused there behind older inventory, then loaded on a truck and delivered to a BP station, purchased and consumed in under 21 days. Not impressed? You don't know a lot about the beer business then. You won't get fresher beer unless you get it from the brewery or make it yourself.
  • Last week I bought a four pack of a super sexy, highly desirable beer from a very renown craft brewery that is a long way from this market. The beer's flavor was very good, but it had sediment in the bottle where there should have been none. Hmmm...that's odd. Check the freshness dating, and yep, it was bottled in June. June of 2012. So this beer that I bought at a reputable retailer of quality beer was 15 months old. The sediment was particulate matter (the non-water elements of the beer) coming out of the liquid due to age, and possibly being poorly handled along the way from the brewery to my local store. Why, then, did it taste OK? Well, it was hopped pretty much out of this world, so that bitterness can cover up a lot. In addition, this is a beer I do not drink more than a few times a year. Why? Well, I think I just told you why. Maybe the next time I am closer to the source I will buy it again, but for the price I paid for it, I sure wish it was a great deal more fresh.
So I just wanted to relate that experience in case it matters to you. Sometimes you don't need to send your dollars across the country when you want a nice, fresh, hoppy beer. Maybe what you are looking for is brewed right around here somewhere, and your money can go back into your community. Have a great weekend everyone.