Just a reminder for anyone who wants to meet the president and brew master of Duck Rabbit: He will be at our beer dinner in Duluth on Tuesday, and at Suwanee for a vertical tasting of 3 years of his barley wine. It will be a great opportunity to learn about beer cellaring, and anything really. The guy has a bachelor's degree in economics from Cornell and a master's in philosophy from the University of Michigan. If he can't explain the mess that the economy is in, maybe he can convince us that none of it really matters after all.
Here is your weekly beer report:
- Is it just me, or does Atlanta really dig some Breckenridge beers? The Pandora's Bock has been going in almost everywhere, most recently at Cumming (along with Vanilla Porter), Mall of GA, Duluth, and East-West Connector. Check out Newnan for fresh kegs of Vanilla Porter and Oatmeal Stout.
- Fordham is a brewery relatively new to the area. Their Copperhead Ale is at Duluth and East-West. The Spring Buck is going in at Old Milton and Perimeter. It is styled after a Belgian blonde ale. Later this year look for their Queen Anne's Kolsch.
- Avery has some really wild beers in their seasonal portfolio. The Fifteen is available at Old Milton right now, and The Czar and The Kaiser are in at Metropolis and Woodstock. East-West is pouring Avery Karma right now as well. It has saffron in it.
- Who is in the mood for dark beer? OK, you can put your hands down now. Lindbergh is putting Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy on tap. It is a pretty intense imperial stout, so you better be ready for a lot of flavor when you order one. I have faith in you. Johns Creek and Metropolis have Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout from Vermont. East-West has Butte Creek Organic Porter, which is an excellent version of the style, and it's earth-friendly!
- Can't wait for spring? Schneider Edel-Weisse is available at Decatur and Perimeter. It is awesome. Duluth is pouring Erdinger right now, which is another super Bavarian hefe.
- You can get your Belgian beer fix at Metropolis with Delirium Tremens and Allagash Black. Perimeter has Delirium Nocturnum and Houblon Chouffe. G Mall has Allagash Fluxus and La Chouffe going right now.
- If you are looking for something hard to find, grab a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while you are at G Mall for one of the beers mentioned above. Ellard Village has a keg of Left Hand Rye Bock. This beer is very uncommon, and really tasty. Perimeter has Weyerbacher Double Simcoe, Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter, and Lagunitas Brown Shugga'. All 3 are great choices.
I hope this gives you some choices for your weekend beer drinking. Once again, it was great to meet some of you folks in person, and I will try to keep the fun events coming as much as time allows. Thanks for reading, and I will be back in touch soon.