Friday, January 23, 2009

Super Beer Monday

No, I don't mean Super Bowl Sunday. We are going to be pouring a firkin of Terrapin India-style Brown Ale at Metropolis this Monday. Not excited by that? Well, this firkin has been matured with oak chips that have been soaked in Woodford Reserve Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.

Now that I have your attention, let me fill you in on what I expect this beer to taste like. The dry oakiness will play very nicely with the intrinsic bitterness in this beer. The vanilla and caramel notes of the bourbon will accentuate the dark malts of the brown ale, and round out the contrasting flavors of sweet and bitter. The alcohol from the Woodford will provide a pleasant, lasting warmth in your chest. That is my hunch. Can't wait to see if I am right or wrong.

Passport Club members will be able to get a very unique and unusual credit, so if you like to have some bragging rights over your friends and drinking buddies, this is a great chance. I will be there as close to 5 pm as possible. If you ask nicely, Donald might let you tap the firkin.