Thursday, September 2, 2010

Congratulations, Mrs. Mac. It's A Taco!


Yep, that's right. We are the proud parents of a brand new Taco Mac location. It's not my baby, but I did help push it out. I don't want to imply that it was easy by any means. Because like a real birth, there was a whole lot of screaming, crying and plenty of swearing. However, unlike most births, there was also a fair amount of drinking. Alcohol may lead to plenty of babies being made, but civilized people rarely drink during the delivery. Or so I am told.

So the Charlotte store is open, and the photo is of a 3-D metal sign that we had made to represent Charlotte's own Olde Mecklenburg Brewing Co. In fact, 17 of the 140 beers on tap at that store are beers brewed in North Carolina. And there are more to come. Lots of small breweries there can self-distribute (not legal in most states), so they are just now starting to come out of the woodwork. We will be seeing a heavy rotation of local beer up there, plus our usual favorites and home-town Atlanta beers. If you are looking for a reason to take a field trip, I recommend Charlotte. Plan on staying the night. Trust me on that one. I know some of you, and you might just enjoy our new place a little too much to get back on the road. Don't look around. You know who you are. Stay the night, make a friend, maybe make a baby or two. Whatever floats your boat.

Here are some notable events coming up that you should know about:
  1. Taco Mac has just about all of the kegs of Red Brick Oktoberfest in the area. I know it is still 95 degrees every day, but the restaurants are air-conditioned. Get in there and get prepped for fall. Football season starts tonight with USC/Hawaii I think, so it's officially fall in my book.
  2. Friday the 10th is a big day. We are helping to launch SweetWater Crank Tank Rye'd Ale. This new rye beer is helping raise awareness and participation in Spin For Kids, a charity bike ride (get it, Rye'd?) to benefit Camp Twin Lakes. It is not part of the Dank Tank series. Much more approachable and less expensive. It is going to last a week, maybe two, so don't screw around and miss it. This will only be available in GA stores. You can check out the charitable event at www.spinforkids.org. Great cause. Marie is heading up a team of riders from around the office here.
  3. Friday the 10th will also see the release of O'Dempsey's Inukshuk IPA at The Fred. Randy Dempsey will be there at 6:00 to meet people like you and talk about his beer. I get a strong feeling he will also explain what in the hell an Inukshuk is. I know what it is, but I don't have time to go into it right now. Hey, you've got a computer. Maybe it can help. The beer will taste better than an Inukshuk for sure. That I guarantee.
  4. There is also a cask of Terrapin Hopsecutioner with some bourbon and oak treatment at Metropolis on Friday the 10th. Can you say irresistible?
I know....that is a lot of choices. Just remember: Like a mother to her newborn baby, Taco Mac loves you. We love you like you love your beer.

That is all I have for you today. I hope you have a great Labor Day weekend. Please be safe. But if you can't, just remember that You Tube is full of idiots hurting themselves trying to impress their friends. Those are hilarious. So make sure that someone has a camera before you try your little stunt.