Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This Beer Really Snuck Up On Me. Really!


Last week I was approached by a guy offering me a new beer made in the southeast. Not only was I totally unaware that someone who I have been acquainted with before was now making beer professionally, I was at that moment in possession of the actual finished product. So when I say that this beer snuck up on me, I mean it actually popped out of seemingly nowhere. And it is good, really good.

Why all of the secrecy? The people behind it have their reasons, and I don't feel like undoing all of their cloaking efforts right here, right now. Suffice it to say that one of the people involved has not completely removed himself from his current profession. The beers are being contract brewed in South Carolina now, with plans to eventually open a brewery in Decatur. Now before you get your panties in a bundle over contract brewing, settle down. It is an extremely prevalent practice and, frankly, the smartest way to get started. Ever heard of Terrapin? That's how they got going. Why invest a small fortune in a brand-new or even used brew house when there is perfectly good equipment available virtually for rent? Why not brew your beer somewhere that has excess capacity, generate some income, gauge your sales expectations, then eventually build the brewery you want from scratch? The only reason to do it any other way would be because you, or someone you know, is made out of money and doesn't mind taking a huge risk of losing it. In addition to all of that, if you are still tweaked over contract brewing, you probably drink one more often that you know. So please come down from your high horse.

Wild Heaven offers a Belgian-style golden ale called "Invocation" that clocks in around 8.2% ABV. Their "Ode To Mercy" is an imperial brown ale with oak and coffee influences. It is 8.5% ABV. So these beers should not sneak up on you, because I just told you how strong they are. Don't drink eight of them and go home and call up old girlfriends or boyfriends in the middle of the night. They don't want to hear you crying any more now than they did when they were with you. Don't drink and dial, people. Put the phone down.

Now you may be wondering, "Gee...I hope he tells me where I can get these beers. I mean, I don't read this stupid thing for my health. Ugh!" Well, I got your back beer people. You can get both of these beers on tap TOMORROW at The Fred and Taco Mac Perimeter. They should be hooked up and ready to go by 5:00 pm at the latest. Please call Perimeter at 678-336-1381 and/or The Fred at 404-671-FRED (that was not my idea, but I like it) if you need to be absolutely sure that it is ready to go. I have made all of the necessary arrangements myself to assure that everything is in place. However, I do not deliver beer for a living, so I cannot guarantee that someone else doesn't screw it up. I can guarantee that it is HIGHLY unlikely that anything will be amiss tomorrow. Enjoy. Trust me on this one....these beers are good.