Monday, April 16, 2012

Oh. So It's Going To Be That Kind Of Party. Well Alright.

I'm here for the orgy...?
Yes, it was a festive affair at Terrapin for the 10th Anniversary party in Athens this weekend. The weather was beautiful, as you know, and the beer was outstanding, as you might expect. Do you really want me to tell you about all of the fabulous and rare beers you didn't drink? I hope not. Or do you want me to remind those of you that went what you drank, because you got hammered and forgot? Well, you are on your own pal. I don't have time for that today. Let's just say that this was one of those events that you should have gone to, and if you didn't, then I hope whatever you did that was more important made you really happy. Happier than you would have been drinking endless amounts of fabulous beer outside in the sun with a bunch of fun and beautiful people, listening to live music, watching a trapeze artist, submerging Terrapin employees in a beer-filled dunk tank (for charity, of course), playing Frisbee,  and...oh hell. You get the picture. This event was the debut for three beers that you will get to taste really soon: Easy Rider, Tree Hugger and 10th Anniversary. You are going to be really happy with what you are going to get with those, trust me.

But I have some other events coming up that you can--unlike things that have already happened--actually attend. First of all, if you head to The Fred (I made a rhyme) on Thursday, you can meet the big cheese from Penn Brewing in...you guessed it, Pennsylvania! His name is Eric Heinauer, and he Penn's National Sales Manger. There will be Penn Pilsner, Allegheny Pale Ale and Weizen on tap, which I doubt you have seen around town much/ever. This explains why the big cheese is in town. Are you starting to see a pattern here with these events? (Psst...Hey, if you show up around when we open and the dude is there, I bet you he has some stuff to give away. Wink.)


Anyone remember the Salute To Smith's last year? It is a yearly recognition of the outstanding beers that come from Samuel Smith's in England. Before there was craft beer all over the place, they were THE top notch examples of Pale Ale, IPA, Brown Ale, Porter and Oatmeal Stout available anywhere. These beers inspired people here to brew real, flavorful beers with character and respectability. (As a gift from my boss while working at a beer warehouse in Michigan when I was 19, I received a case of half Taddy Porter, half Oatmeal Stout. Yes I was under 21, but this was a gift. I worked hard for that guy, and I deserved it. Mind your own business. Anyway, I took that beer to Chicago to spend the weekend at my girlfriend's parents house while they were out of town [cue the "gettin' busy" music!], and go see the Rolling Stones in concert. It is safe to look back upon that as one of the events that put me on the course that brought me to where I am today. I had 24 opportunities to savor real beer at a young age, and realize that the beaten bath was for beaten people, and real beer was where it is at. So you can say that Samuel Smith's is an important brand for me, personally, and Taddy Porter remains what I compare all others porters to, and always will.) This year we are saluting Samuel Smith's with a special night at Deckard's. On Friday the 27th, you can come in and purchase a flight of their IPA, Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and yes, the famed Taddy Porter. The cost is a mere $15.00, and while supplies last you can get nifty give-aways like shirts and limited edition glasses. It will be very cool, and anyone who misses out will cry. And they should. I mean, after that trip down memory lane I just took you on, and then you don't even show up to toast the venerable Sam Smith's beers? That's cold. I hope you cry.


Last thing I have for you today is that German beer dinner at The Fred Bar on May 8th. It is exactly half full right now, so if you are planning on going, you might want to get on it pretty quickly. I am not a scientist, so I will not conjecture as to why people struggle to think about an event until the month it happens, but I am here to try to help you overcome that. Sorry people, I can't schedule every event at the end of the month because you are a space cadet. Get it together. You are an adult for Christ's sake. Your mother was right about you. 


OK, so I am off to Chicago-land for a intensive beer training class all week. And yes, I will be reminiscing about long-lost loves and idyllic weekends along the coast of Lake Michigan, drinking Sam Smith's, while the whole universe was making absolute and perfect sense. I can't lie, that shit was bad-ass back then, and it would be just as bad-ass now. Have a great week everyone. But while I am gone, check this place out that is less than five miles from my hotel in Illinois: http://www.bavarian-lodge.com/Site/Beer_List.html . Sometimes things just fall into place.