- The first in a series of six O'Dempsey's Your Black Heart Russian Imperial Stout casks is being tapped at Dallas Hwy tomorrow night at 6:00 pm. Each of these was treated to different ingredient additions, so they are all unique, and therefore are unique credits fro Brewniversity members. Once this one is gone, the credit will vanish forever. Collect the whole set. Be a hero to lesser beer drinkers everywhere.
- Next Friday there will be five rare/new Sierra Nevada beers at our South Park store in Charlotte. Four will be past Beer Camp beers, and one will be the new Narwhal Imperial Stout. I, for one, can't wait. Charlotte here I come. Next week.
- I am coming back from that in time for a Whiskey Seminar at The Fred Bar on Saturday from 3:00-5:00 pm. The cost is only $25.00 to taste five high-end whiskeys, and get educated on their similarities and differences by Whiskey Master Kevin Mulcahy. This guy knows his stuff, and he will be as thorough as you need him to be. Just think, this holiday season around the fire, you can be the person who knows everything about whiskey, while everyone else secretly thinks about how lame they are compared to you. And then they'll resent you, but what do you care? Compared to you, they are a bunch of losers. You need better friends. Ones that won't hold you back, suppressing your potential to be cooler than they are out of jealously. If you are interested in signing up for this seminar, just send some contact info to here and mention the whiskey seminar. We will taste Irish, Scotch, Canadian and American (one bourbon and one rye) whiskeys.
- The very next day is the Jailhouse cask rescheduled from tonight. Remember, 1:00 pm on Sunday, 10/21 at Metropolis. Jailhouse Misdemeanor with toffee and agave nectar. Sounds awesome.
- Monday the 22nd at Decatur you can meet the brew master from Widmer and drink a ton of crazy beers of his. Three vintages of Barrel-Aged Brrbon, the new Old Embalmer Barley Wine, SXNW (a stong ale with chilis, chocolate and pecans), and a ton of old favorites, including two IPA's. We will be also selling flights so that you can try many of these beers in one night. Safely. Remember that the flights will be new and one-time credits for Brewniversity members. This event is from 7:00-9:00 pm, because we know that getting to Decatur on a weekday before 6:30 pm can be difficult.
- Tuesday at Perimeter you can meet Peter Bouckaert, brew master from New Belgium. He is going to tell you all about his story, and the stories of some of his favorite beers that he brews. One of his first, and still favorite, recipes is called 1554, and has always been one of my favorite New Belgium beers. You can get a special event credit by ordering one of those before listening to his presentation. This will take place in the inner patio, and he will start around 5:45 pm. Please try to be on time. This is a very important person in the beer world, and we do not want to interrupt his presentation with a lot of late arrivals. Subjects will include his journey through Belgian brewing to Colorado, special yeast strains and their characteristics, and fun things like that. Another chance to get cooler than those half-wits you've been hanging around with lately.
- Also on Tuesday there will be a handful of vintage-dated Southern Tier beers at our East Roswell store. Get them while you can, because they will be probably be gone before the weekend comes and goes. Don't delay.
- On Wednesday there will be three different vintage-dated Great Divide Yeti kegs at East Roswell: Oak-Aged, Chocolate and Espresso Yetis from 2011 will be pouring after 5:00 pm.
- Also that evening there will be the next O'Dempsey's cask at Cumming. That starts at 6:00 pm. This one was aged on pieces of Jack Daniel's barrel staves.
- Thursday there is an event at The Fred that should be fun. We will be serving beers from Finch's and Goose Island out of Chicago (maybe even a Goose rarity...stay tuned). But that's not all. You can also get an authentic Chicago-style hot dog with all of the crazy toppings, and a big can of Old Style. That's right, real Old Style, in Atlanta. Ice cold 16oz. tall-boys. Oh yeah.
- Next up is Friday the 26th, and you can get some vintage-dated Russian Imperial Stouts at East Roswell. I don't know how it happened, but we shook that location, and a ton of cellared beers fell out, just in time for ABW.
- Also on Friday you will get the next O'Dempsey's cask at The Fred Bar. This one has cranberries and cocoa nibs in it, and the brewer thinks it will be the best in the series. Let's see if he is right. The rest of the O'Dempsey's casks go like this: Nov. 2nd at Peachtree City, 11/7 at Lawrenceville--Suwanee Rd., and 11/12 at Kennesaw for their 5th anniversary shindig.
In case you did not get the word--and if you didn't, then you are the only one on Earth it seems--that I threw out the first pitch in Friday night's Braves disaster, it is true. How I got the offer is kind of a long story, but thanks to the great people at a local Anheuser-Busch distributor, the opportunity trickled down to me. Don't worry though, it was not my botched pitch that doomed the Braves. I threw a perfect strike, at a blistering 34 mph. (That is just a guess, but let's just say that I didn't put everything I had into it. I was trying to get it across the plate, no make the team.) There will be a video available once the Braves send me the DVD, and I will post it here for sure. But for now, check out where I sat (picture above). The guy in the light blue shirt and white hat on the right is Ted Turner. The guy in the blazer and khaki pants is a secret service agent. Jimmy Carter is in front of him, but you can't see him in this picture. The lady on the aisle in the tan suit is Rosalynn Carter. When the fans started going nuts and throwing bottles on the field, three secret service guys showed up out of nowhere to keep an eye on the Carters. Ted headed for the dugout, and then his helicopter or something. He never came back after that, but neither did the Braves. Oh well, better luck next year Ted. It was fun while it lasted.
Take care everyone. If you are looking for me, I will be in Denver again for GABF. I will do my best to have fun. Wish me luck.