Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Good Problem To Have

How's everybody doing this week? Hopefully dry, as it appears that the monsoons have passed, and now it
is just three to five brief showers per day. I for one have been ecstatic about the rain. Why? Because it is almost August and we have barely hit 90 degrees maybe once or twice. I don't like hot weather. Smart asses would say, "Well then why do you live in the south?" I would reply. "Because I have a good job idiot, why do you think?" But I love it in Atlanta, and I don't plan on going anywhere. I deal with the heat and I deal with the crappy traffic. People up north deal with the cold, and probably the crappy traffic too. It's just two sides of the same coin. If there was a place where the weather was perfect all of the time, that place would most definitely suck. There would be too many people there enjoying the mild temperatures and sunny days. And no jobs. Plus, what would we do if we didn't have something to complain about? Sure, a place like San Diego pokes holes in my theory. The weather in San Diego is beautiful all the time, and so are the people. The beer? Unbelievable. I am sure that there are some drawbacks to living there. One being that you would eventually feel inferior to all of the beautiful, successful people. Then you would probably develop a drinking or drug problem to deal with your insecurities. I also think there are a lot of bums there. I mean, if you have to live outside, there's not many better places than San Diego. Maybe all of the bums are the people whose sense of inferiority to the beautiful people made them alcohol and drug addicts. So in essence the beautiful people have ruined their own surroundings due to their beauty and perfection. Serves you right for having such good genetics. Hope you're happy.

So other than celebrating a tolerable start to the seven months of summer, here are some other things worth getting pumped about:

  1. Mall of GA is opening up their cellar, starting tonight with North Coast Olde Stock 2011. Tomorrow they will bust out Weyerbacher Heresy 2012, then SweetWater Festive 2012 on Thursday. Friday is Unibroue La Terrible 2011, followed by Brooklyn Monster 2011 on Saturday and both Red Brick Smoked Vanilla Gorilla 2012 and Lost Years 2012 on Sunday. Nice way to end the month up there in Buford.
  2. On Tuesday the 30th, Metropolis will be tapping a firkin of JailHouse Misdemeanor with cocoa and ancho chiles. We are calling it JailHouse Metrodemeanor. Stop by around 6:00 pm to try this one-time-only brew. 
  3. This event has been postponed. Stay tuned for the new date. Wednesday, July 31st, the Taco Mac at Windward Pkwy and Hwy 9 will be tapping a cask of Heavy Seas RipTide White IPA at 6:00 pm. That is the first one of those I have heard of in this area. I have a previous engagement unfortunately, or else I would be there for sure. Tell me how good it is when I see you next time. 
I gotta run people. I need to update the app with these events and get back to work. You might not hear from me next week. I am going to visit the Woodford Reserve distillery in Kentucky again. This time I am taking a friend there for a major milestone birthday. Watch for some Instagram photos at "beer_fred_tmac" from what should be quite an adventure. Before we get to Kentucky we are going to spend the night in a city none of us have ever been, just to see what kind of mischief we can uncover. Should be fun.

Now I need to decide what to do with one of two bottles of Deschutes Black Butte XXIV. I brought two of these bombers back from Oregon in my luggage a year ago. I was in Bend the day it was released (which was not planned, I am just that good--true story) and had a few drafts of it. The bottle says "Best After 07/23/13". So does that mean I drink it today? Technically it is not after 07/23/13 until tomorrow, but I have been waiting exactly 364 days to drink one of these guys. Can I wait one more day? Only the voices in my head know. We will see what they have to say when I am standing in front of the fridge tonight. I have a hunch I am going to like what they have to say.