Thursday, March 5, 2009

D.C. Bound/Tasting The First Ron

I continue to forget that winter lasts well into March up north every time I think that the coast is clear, pack up, and get off a plane in the middle of a blizzard. Thankfully, Washington D.C. is not too far north, and the weather looks clear for the weekend. I'm still packing for arctic conditions. I grew up in Michigan, so I know what cruel sense of humor mother nature can have when spring seems right around the corner.

My older brother (and only sibling) turned 40 last month, and I could not be there. So his wife suggested that maybe I visit the weekend that she is out of town, to "keep him company". Hmmm.....Keep my brother company while his wife is out of town? Sounds like mischief to me. I told her that I could probably "help her out with that." Now before you get any zany ideas, I do hold the title of "World's Coolest Uncle" to a 4 year old named Alex, so the weekend won't be much more than the three of us guys kickin' it family-style.

Did I mention that my brother was a chef? Yeah, we eat pretty good when he's around. I also need to send a special thanks out to the good people at Dogfish Head for building a DFH brew pub 10 miles from my brother's house in Fall's Church, VA. Nice work guys. World Wide Stout, here I come. Somehow I need to figure out a way to get this 4 year old out of the house, just the two of us. He is quite possibly the most powerful chick magnet in the world. Women are powerless against him. I've seen it. And, as "World's Coolest Uncle" (I have the t-shirt to prove it), who knows what could happen? These types of ideas would never fly when his mother is around. I need to strike while the iron is hot. I know everyone says these things about the kids in their family, even the funny looking ones. This nephew of mine is not one of those kids. His own parents don't plan on having another child, and I suspect that they are afraid that the second one won't measure up to the first. Neither one of his parents all that great looking, but damn their kid is handsome. Genetics is a crazy thing. I would show you a picture, but I'm pretty sure that you don't care to get to know me that well.

I will return with a full report of the DFH pub. My brother is psyched to go there as well, and the word on the street is that they have many special beers at their pubs (they have 2 outside of the actual brewery in Delaware) that are hard to find. Otherwise, I will be gone from Friday through Monday, and back in action in the ATL Tuesday.

I apologize if you were looking for more beer content here today. We had a full week already, with a 393 tapping in Kennesaw Monday (1 hr. 15 min.-NEW RECORD!), Allagash dinner Tuesday (oh, you missed it? Too bad. It was awesome!), and a manager outing to Sweetwater yesterday. We tasted the Taco Mac 30th anniversary beer they made. This scotch ale style, called The Ron Burgundy (don't get the reference? Call in a lifeline, it's not a hard one) is awesome. It comes out 30 days (get it?) before the 4/20 fest. You missed the cask of the Johnnie Walker seasoned Ron Burgundy. Delicious. Terrapin and Atlanta Brewing Co. are doing anniversary beers for us as well. Terrapin's comes out in May, ABC's in June. More to come on that.

Have a great weekend people. I gotta go. Tell Veronica Corningstone that I like her better than Kelly Bundy, and that means a lot. Not to her, to me.