Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tax Day Party?


Tax time got you down? Uncle Sam making you "mad"? Feel like "bitching" about it? Well then do we have something for you. That's right people, April 15th is a cause for celebration. Not because Uncle Sam has all of your money, but because we have a birthday to celebrate. The Metropolis store will be 1 year old on April 16th (so we are a day early, sue me). This was about to go by without much fanfare until an unusual and rare keg of beer surfaced, and the timing took care of itself. I know what you are thinking, "Shut up and tell me what the beer is already. And how on Earth is Crazy Cat Lady from the Simpson's at all relevant in this case?" Patience.

People ask me all the time, "What is your favorite beer?" In most the cases the answer is, "The one I am drinking right now." Or, "The one that you're buying." Those are classic responses that get a polite chuckle at best. But, when pressed, I will divulge that if I was stranded on desert island with only 1 kind of beer for the rest of my life, it would probably have to come from the De Dolle brewery in Belgium. These beers are rare, yes, and when you can find them, not cheap. I can't recall ever seeing their beer on tap. Not in Atlanta, or Chicago, Portland, San Francisco, or any of the other places I have ever been. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that they don't come around very often. So, there are about 55 little glasses of De Dolle Dulle Teve in the keg parked at Metropolis right now. We are going to get into it at 5 pm on Wednesday, April 15th. I don't know what you need to do to get there, and frankly, if you can't make it, there will be more for me. However, I would not be able to enjoy this beer at all from sheer guilt if I did not share this info with my loyal readers.

De Dolle Brouwers means "The Mad Brewers", and they make incredible, exotic beers. That's it. They don't make a beer that is isn't eclectic. They're "crazy". Dulle Teve means "mad bitch". So, the crazy brewers have a beer named after some crazy (you can fill in the blank here folks).... So, if you want to come down Wednesday, try the Dulle Teve on draft (I already said it was expensive, OK?), have a few of the other great beers available, babble nonsense, hurl mangy cats at people, stay home! If you want to skip the last two and just drink beer with cool people, come on down to midtown on Tax Day (boooh!) for a Dulle Teve (yeah!).

Also, if you are interested not only in the Dominion Millennium, but would also like to meet Scott Hamil from the brewery, you need to be at the Mall of GA store this Friday. Scott is a great guy, and I am sure that you have some questions for him, as Dominion has a new direction for the Atlanta market (and I like it). Please be prepared to arrive at 5 pm or later for this event. The store will not open until 5 this Friday due to extenuating circumstances (somebody was hurling cats, that's all I can say). Also, the beer engine is pumping fresh Victory Hop Devil right now. Too good for words. If you are digging the cask beers, I just want to tell you 1 thing: I have some things up my sleeve that will make you very happy....

I am going to Athens (Georgia, not Greece) on Saturday for the big Terrapin party and staying the night. Sunday will be a normal day off with household duties. You might not hear from me this weekend, so, here is your mid-weekly beer report:
  • Does all this talk of beer have you floating on air? Well they coast on down to Crabby, Duluth, Lindbergh, Johns Creek, Kennesaw, G Mall, Metropolis or Perimeter for Stone Levitation Ale.
  • Want to get glued to your chair? PTC has the only keg of Lion Stout from Sri Lanka. This is a new Fred Favorite. If you think you might like dark beer, this one is not for you. If you wish dark beer could get darker than it already is, Lion is for you.
  • More heavy stout? Ok, Weyerbacher 13 is at Cumming, Kennesaw and Perimeter. Careful, this one pack a punch.
  • The Terrapin Monk's Revenge is out at some stores already, but just going in at Crabapple and Suwanee.
  • Kennesaw is putting in Left Hand Oak-Aged Imperial Stout. I just drank an '07 when I got a new TV for football season last August. I considered that combo a religious experience. Thanks, Terry B.! They are also offering the organic Schneider Edel-Weiss. It's from Schneider, so it is awesome.
  • Ellard has a few notable things going on right now. First of all, if Roswellians have not experienced Coney Island Human Blockhead, now is their chance. In addition, the Oskar Blues Mama's Li'l Yella Pils is making an appearance. Plus, The Ron Burgundy is on its last legs there. If the keg makes it through the weekend, I will be surprised. Go on and get you a Snuggie already.
There is so much more going out there (Crabapple just brought in a ton of new beers!), that I don't have time to mention all of it. Just be aware that beer drinking in Atlanta in April has never, and I mean NEVER been better. Get out there and enjoy it before someone decides to slap another tax on it.

Note: No cats were harmed in the posting of this blog, nor are any cats harmed by Crazy Cat Lady
who is, like her cats, a cartoon. I in no way advocate the hurling of any live animals. And touching dead ones, whether you plan on hurling them or not, is just gross.