Thursday, May 16, 2013

Talk To Me Goose!

Folks, I don't often give you advice on how to run your personal or professional lives, unless it involves how, when, where, and to what extent you drink beer, but today is different. But don't worry, I am going to tell you about cool beer stuff soon enough.

Friday is the last day that I get to work with someone who has been my right-hand person for seven years. She has been more than a friend. She has been a sounding board for my wacky ideas, a collaborator on many of them, a great listener to my rants full of explosive profanities, and most importantly, been the one person who has always had my back through thick and thin. The inside jokes, the ability to speak to one another without words, and the unspoken affirmation of knowing that someone else really, really gets you, are qualities that can't be taken for granted. So all I have left to say on this subject is that if there is someone in your life, personal or professional, that you feel that way about, I wrote a poem for you. Feel free to use it wherever you like. It took me a long time to craft this, and I feel that it speaks to the deepest parts of the human experience. Enjoy.

Thank you for being a friend, 
Traveled down the road and back again, 
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant. 
And if you threw a party, and 
Invited everyone you knew, 
You would see the biggest gift would be from me 
And the card attached would say,  
"Thank You For Being A Friend." 

But don't get all weepy on me over there. People move on in life. I am still really close friends with a guy I met at college orientation when I was seventeen. Just saw him in April. It's not like this girl is going off to storm Normandy and free Europe. She's going to work with dogs in Alpharetta. Get a hold of yourself. Geez. 


So here is the beer stuff:
  • Cask of O'Dempsey's Your Black Heart at The Fred Bar tomorrow (Friday) night. This one has all kinds of crazy additions, and it is coded as a new Brewniversity credit for American Craft Beer Week. O'Dempsey's folks will be on hand, and they are a fun bunch if you have not met them yet.
  • Put 5/29 on your calendar. There is an Ommegang event at The Fred featuring those Game Of Thrones beers on draft. Don't ask questions, just be there.
  • The last cask of O'Dempsey's Your Black Heart from our "Winner's Circle" of customers is getting tapped at the Duluth store on Friday, May 31st. This one is also full of wild and unusual additions. Can you handle it, or are you chicken? (Apologies to any real chickens that are reading this. Who knew?) 
That's all kids. Have a great weekend. Go thank a friend for being who they are. Those people don't grow on trees.

PS-- I can assure you that no Golden Girls were injured in the posting of this blog.